Mini Salted Caramel Sandwiches
These are deliciously adorable and so cute! A melt-in-your-mouth chocolate sponge sandwiched together with a salty caramel buttercream.
5oz butter or margarine
5oz caster sugar
5oz Free From self raising flour
1tsp vanilla extract
1tbsp cocoa powder
1tsp baking powder
1tbsp tepid water
6oz icing sugar
1oz butter or margarine
1tbsp caramel (we used a tin of Carnation Caramel)
Rock salt to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 180C, and grease/flour a mini muffin baking tin
2. Cream the butter and sugar until smooth
3. Add in the eggs, one at a time and mix well
4. Sieve the flour, salt, baking powder and cocoa powder in to the mix
5. Add in the vanilla extract and tepid water
6. Mix well. At this point, the mixture should drop from a spoon.
7. Spoon the mixture in to the muffin moulds - no more than 2/3 full
8. Bake in the oven for around 12 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean
9. Leave to cool in the tray for around 10 minutes, then turn out on to a cooling rack.
For the butter cream filling:
10. Use the whisk attachment on a free standing mixer, or a hand held mixer
11. Place the icing sugar, butter and caramel in to a bowl and whisk for at least 5 minutes until smooth
12. Add extra icing sugar if the buttercream is a little runny - it should cling to the spoon
13. Add in the rock salt to your taste, a little at a time and mix thoroughly. Just don’t add too much!
14. Cut the mini sponges in half, and pipe the buttercream on to the bottom halves
15. Sandwich together with the top halves.
16. Dust with icing sugar
17. Serve and enjoy.