Tangy Lemon Cupcakes
We are starting with our all time favourite. Lemon cupcakes. Always a winner with any friends and family, here is our tried and tested recipe to make 12 cupcakes.
5 Oz Butter or margarine
5 Oz Caster sugar
5 Oz Free From self raising flour
1 tsp Free From baking powder
Pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp skimmed milk (or milk alternative - almond milk works well)
1. Preheat the oven to 180˚C and grease and layout your cake cakes in a cupcake tin.
2. Using a free-standing mixer, or hand-held, cream the butter and sugar together.
3. Add in both eggs and mix until well combined.
4. Sieve the flour, baking powder and salt in to the egg/butter mixture and combine at a low speed.
5. Add the vanilla essence, milk, zest of the whole lemon, and juice of half.
6. Spoon the mixture in to each cake case - no more than 3/4 full.
7. Bake in the centre of the over for between 12-15 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clear.
8. Leave to cool and move on to the buttercream.
2 Oz Butter or margarine
2 tbsp of skimmed milk
1 tbsp lemon juice (you can use extract)
6 Oz Icing Sugar
1. Add all of the ingredients to a free-standing mixer with the whisk attachment and mix on a high speed for around 5 minutes, until well combined and light and fluffy.
2. If needed, add extra icing sugar until preferred consistency is reached - we like our buttercream nice and thick.
3. Add the buttercream to a piping bag with your choice of nozzle, and once the cakes are cooled, pipe the buttercream on to each cupcake.
4. Make sure you eat one before you share them!
TIP: I like to add a dollop of lemon curd to make them super lemony - just cut a little bit of sponge from the centre and fill it up! So good.